How does a cactus absorb water?
- new clean sponge
- sharpie marker
- scissors (adult sharp ones work best)
- cup of water with a few drops of blue food coloring (to see the water absorbtion better)
Steps to the Experiment:
- Draw a cactus on the sponge using a sharpie marker.
- Cut the cactus out (be sure to leave on end flat so it will stand)
- Soak toothpicks in water for a few seconds.
- Put toothpicks in the sponge to act as the spikes of the cactus.
- Add a few drops of blue food coloring to a cup of water.
- Pour some water on the plate, enough that it covers the bottom of the plate but not too much that it will spill over the sides.
- Stand the cactus in the water.
- Observe. Let stand for as long as you like to see how much time passes before all the water is absorbed.